Join the conversation

Sign in to join this conversation, and others like it, in the communities you care about.

Frontend Hub

Talk anything related Frontend development, HTML/CSS, client side Javascript, Bootstrap, etc

Frontend Hub / General

React Native vs Native IOS/Android

React Native vs Native IOS/Android

Frontend Hub / General · March 27, 2019 at 10:35pm

Hey guys, I'm kickstarting a new project of my own so I'm trying to lookout for budget. It's going to be a web based app at first so it makes sense to me to research options like React Native. But in the case of React Native, that still needs to be converted from React.

My question is what solutions would you recommend to have an app version of my web project with the least amount of work (time and resources) needed? Would you recommend something else then react?

Or if you know any react to react native converter or something like that..

Thanks so much!

March 28, 2019 at 4:48am

React-Native doesn't care of backend, as long you have API. For example you can have WordPress blog with all kind of functionality. If you have API, you can build React-Native App and have close to native feeling

So, u basically build a web app, and then just use API to connect with react-native frontend

@kinderminder that’s true but I wanted to avoid building fronted for mobile separately. I was wondering if there’s a way to “build once, render everywhere”

i see what u mean. The PWA (Progressive Web Apps) can be your cheapest and best solution. It should be easy to integrate by creating manifest.json file. Maybe not that easy, but it;s something like that.

It give ur website/web app a feature to act like kind native app. ofc its not native app, but it have usage like

U can test PWA with Vanila Community either on desktop or mobile, by using Chrome browser and going to menu and click something like "Install Vanila Community"

as you can see on screenshot below, I am already using community as native desktop app and pined it in taskbar

March 28, 2019 at 7:01am

That’s awesome! But PWA doesn’t work in IOS right? Meaning you can’t add it to the app store. Thanks so much for your help

March 28, 2019 at 3:26pm

Ah, you want to add app to the APP store. Yeah, that is not the solution there. PWA is quick way of giving users ability to use it cross platform, with kind feeling and access like an app, and not trough browser tab