UI/UX 💩 / Tips

[Bad UX #1] Forgot Password & Email Case on Imgur

UI/UX 💩/Tips · April 6, 2019 at 10:52am

UI/UX 💩 / Tips · April 6, 2019 at 10:52am

I got frustrated by spending last 2 hours and more by trying to login back into my Imgur account.

Even the big websites like Imgur have really bad UX. I can't be sure if this is cause of security reasons or they just are not aware of this scenario.

So, I wanted to login back, but I am not sure what did I used when I created account. Is it Facebook, or it's just Twitter? Hmm, both not working, okay maybe i did with Google. Hmm, but what google account, I have them 10+ accounts?

Imgur Signing UX

Sigh, after dozen successful failures to login and ten + minutes of waste i decided to use old good option forgot password?. 🤞

imgur forgot password UX

"Okay, that is it" I was thinking. Since I don't know email either, I will just enter my username, and they will send me link to change my password. Great 👌

And I did it.

imgur bad UX

Hmm, wait 🤔, but since I don't know my email either, how I can know where did they sent it?

Oh man, now i need to login in my 10+ emails and check for each one Promotional, Social, and SPAM folder. A lot of work and wasted time.

Of course, I checked my main emails first, but no luck or for some reason I am not getting Imgur emails.

It's been more then 2 hours now I am trying to login into such a simple website for sharing images. It's not a bank website or something really important. It's just a image hosting site.

✔ Solution

Very simple solution to this problem would be after requesting password reset link to show message like:

An email has been sent to sht**gmail.com** with further instructions. Be sure to check your spam folder and that your email address is up to date in account settings.
**sht**********gmail.com*

This simple obfuscated email would give me a clue which email I should check, rather then thinking and wasting so much time to check all emails for that password reset link.

I saw many websites did this and I always found it useful. Right now, I am not sure if there is any reasons why Imgur didn't do this. Maybe some security concerns I am not aware, but I guess I am just tripping.

- -

What is your thoughts on this scenario peeps?

April 6, 2019 at 2:14pm

Yep, I have been in this shitty situation so many times, because of that I started to write in my computer which mail did I use for which website but then I had another problem.... I forgot where I wrote that shit and what is the name of the folder or file :D...and then I returned to the roots... notebook and pen :D...Majka Jana :D

like-fill

But off course that is just what is easier for me and only few of them can find it useful, it is not a solution... the solution for this kind of shit it's exactly what you wrote! :)

like-fill

April 6, 2019 at 6:14pm

Hehe, thanks for sharing your experience Perce @littlefeather. Yeah, sometimes pen and paper can be your best friend.

like-fill

I guess this kind of UX I described should be common, only if there is no security reasons.

like-fill

November 15, 2019 at 8:45am

This is what i mean that Imgur should have. Payoneer is doing it, which saves peoples $$ money, so why not Imgur can make it?

payoneer forgot password user experience