Join the conversation

Sign in to join this conversation, and others like it, in the communities you care about.

Wekan

Wekan is an open-source kanban board (Trello like) which allows a card-based task and to-do management.

Wekan / General

Can I use Wekan as a CMS?

Can I use Wekan as a CMS?

Wekan / General · April 6, 2020 at 12:32pm

Hi, I'm a teacher and currently use Trello as a CMS, not as a "to-do" management. It is very easy and fast to use to organize content and programming of my courses at school. I can add formatted text (with markdown), images, videos, links, attach documents and files to each card, I can do searches, I can share it with colleagues and invite them to collaborate... It is taking a lot of time and effort and I would like to have all the data under my control, and I was wondering if I could use Wekan to do the same.

Thanks.

April 7, 2020 at 9:13am

Wekan has "Add Board / Import / From Trello", so you can import Trello boards to Wekan

You can install Wekan server to your laptop or some other server or computer, and have that data locally there

There is download options

With Wekan there is unlimited amount of user accounts, boards etc

April 11, 2020 at 6:13pm

Installation is not a problem. I was referring rather to whether I could do the same things I do in Trello but in Wekan.

I have been playing with Wekan for a while at sandstorm.io and I really like it and I can see many possibilities in Wekan.

The text format is well preserved. The problems I see would be related to the size of the images, which retain their original size (take a look at the attachment). I also don't know if I will be able to embed youtube videos.

Here's what it looks like on Trello:

Sometime I could add generating thumbnails of images. It would make loading boards faster.

Embedding YouTube videos was removed from Wekan, because that code had critical security vulnerability https://github.com/wekan/wekan/blob/master/CHANGELOG.md#v385-2020-03-23-wekan-release

I did receive responsible security disclosure in email from security researcher

In that security issue, when some Javascript code was added to card and saved, then after saving and opening card, Javascript could be executed

I have not yet looked is there any safe way to embed YouTube. YouTube has a lot of Javascript.

One possibility would be to download video and upload to Wekan card. But videos are usually very large files, so I think it's not a very good idea.

Another possibility would be to download those videos, and add them to your own webserver as files, and then add links to videos to cards. That would make more sense.

Downloading videos is also a good way to make sure video does not get lost, or some YouTube algorithm does not delete it automatically.

I have all those videos. It is not such a bad idea to have them on my own web server. Anyway, could you make a thumbnail of the video as jpg and then link to youtube?

YouTube has a lot of tracking. For example, I see from adblocker UBlock Origin that some video has 310 trackers, that is amount of blocked tracking urls etc.

Of course you can add links to YouTube. It's just not possible to embed them to card.

For example, with this kind of markdown at card:

- [Nice cat video](https://youtube.com/...)
                                        - [Nice doc vide](https://youtube.com/...)

And video will open in new tab

browser tab