Join the conversation

Sign in to join this conversation, and others like it, in the communities you care about.

Wekan

Wekan is an open-source kanban board (Trello like) which allows a card-based task and to-do management.

Wekan / General

Is there an easy way to install Wekan for a loser like me

Wekan/General · July 30, 2020 at 7:18am

Wekan / General · July 30, 2020 at 7:18am
Load previous messages

July 30, 2020 at 12:25pm

I had to kinda figure it out myself as well. What are you thinking of running it on though? I found that I needed to host wekan on my own laptop and then access it through the web browser. Have you checked out the options under download server? https://wekan.github.io/

July 30, 2020 at 10:00pm

Hi Phil, thanks for your reply, I was under the impression I could put it on my hosting service somehow,(not my service but a service I use) I am a complete noob to coding and github so a lot of stumbling and feeling my way around a dark unfamiliar room is going on.. I will have a look at what you recommend, i I can't make head nor tail of it I think I'll throw it to someone on fiverr.... Thanks again

July 31, 2020 at 12:54pm

No problem, if you do have issues feel free to add details of the problem you're having, what service you're trying to put it on etc. I'm sure people will help out here. If I get time, I will update the documentation to be more user friendly. I'm not that technical either but I've also recently started to use it for my personal life

August 3, 2020 at 1:31pm

Not sure if just want to run locally or make it available for others served. If the second...... You can install on a server you allocate from your hosting provider (look for and follow the instruction on installing with snap in the wekan doc, https://github.com/wekan/wekan-snap/wiki/Install. It works fine, I have several instances running online.

like-fill

August 4, 2020 at 3:34am

Not sure if just want to run locally or make it available for others served. If the second...... You can install on a server you allocate from your hosting provider (look for and follow the instruction on installing with snap in the wekan doc, https://github.com/wekan/wekan-snap/wiki/Install. It works fine, I have several instances running online.

Hi Paul Thanks for your reply, did you have to install it on a VSP with 4 gig ram (like it says in ONE lot of recommendations, .. this might be for a large organisation

August 4, 2020 at 11:19am

@joesgotdementia 2 GB RAM in VPS is minimum. For large amount of users, I recommend bare metal server with NVME disk and more RAM.

@joesgotdementia At server you see with command: free -h

about is there enough RAM. If there is, it does not use swap.

but if there is a lot of swap in use, there is not enough RAM, and Wekan slows down

because harddisk is a lot slower than RAM

August 4, 2020 at 1:49pm

I run 4 GB Ram, 2 Vcore and provide a non root ebs which I mount under the mongo folder, so that mongo will not fill up root. Root gets app and logs. If you want the particulars of that mount point lmk. I have three of these going and things are fast and are not filling up Ram or disk.

August 4, 2020 at 10:50pm

I run 4 GB Ram, 2 Vcore and provide a non root ebs which I mount under the mongo folder, so that mongo will not fill up root. Root gets app and logs. If you want the particulars of that mount point lmk. I have three of these going and things are fast and are not filling up Ram or disk.

Thanks for your reply, do you have your own server, or is this for a company (sorry if I sound ignorant)

August 5, 2020 at 6:02am

@joesgotdementia Nowadays not many have their own physical servers. Servers are rented from cloud, like AWS/Azure/DigitalOcean/Upcloud/Hetzner etc.

August 5, 2020 at 11:22pm

@joesgotdementia Nowadays not many have their own physical servers. Servers are rented from cloud, like AWS/Azure/DigitalOcean/Upcloud/Hetzner etc.

Thank you Lauri, what about google cloud service, I am using g-suite....

August 6, 2020 at 9:37pm

@joesgotdementia When I about 2 years ago tried VM at Google Cloud, I could not find how to enable websockets, that are required for getting Wekan to work. That caused there being errors with name "websockets" at browser inspect console. I have not tried again after that is it possible to get Wekan working well at Google Cloud.

With google search you could find is it possible to have websockets enabled at Google Cloud

August 8, 2020 at 5:23pm

sorry was out of telecom because the hurricane

I use AWS EC2's in cloud

August 10, 2020 at 11:31pm

@joesgotdementia When I about 2 years ago tried VM at Google Cloud, I could not find how to enable websockets, that are required for getting Wekan to work. That caused there being errors with name "websockets" at browser inspect console. I have not tried again after that is it possible to get Wekan working well at Google Cloud.

I use AWS EC2's in cloud

Thanks Paul, I tried going through their pricing calculator and it did my head in lol

August 11, 2020 at 12:26pm