Join the conversation

Sign in to join this conversation, and others like it, in the communities you care about.

Wekan

Wekan is an open-source kanban board (Trello like) which allows a card-based task and to-do management.

Wekan / General

Meteor alternatives?

Meteor alternatives?

Wekan / General · June 20, 2019 at 2:53am

Hey guys, I built an Open Source app in Meteor a while ago (it actually had Kanban functionality as well, funnily enough), but as we all know Meteor is showing it's age and the community seems to now be non-existent.

What tech stack would you guys recommend as a modern alternative to Meteor? Any plans for Wekan to migrate to something else?

I really would love to not have to start from scratch on my project, but I don't really think I have a choice anymore with Meteor. Between the memory consumption and build sizes, it's just no longer a feasible option.

Load previous messages

June 20, 2019 at 9:06am

Well, depends if community helps building it https://github.com/wekan/demo/wiki/Roadmap

For CloudFlare workers global minimum latency kanban on edge

And at https://github.com/wekan is small tests for various programming languages

Currently I'm just fixing and adding features to Meteor-bases Wekan

based

June 20, 2019 at 11:58pm

So it sounds like, yes, you are looking to move away from Meteor, but haven't settled on an alternative stack yet. Correct?

June 21, 2019 at 7:39am

Yes. I would like to have support for many databases with some ORM or other database abstraction, like SQLite, MySQL, PostgreSQL, CloudFlare keyvalue store, etc.

I also have problems building fibers on arm. Meteor does not by default support arm.

Meteor is about 2 GB of javascript.

For Raspberry Pi, I would use some compiled language, like Haxe to C++ to binary

Question also is, how would I move all this current Wekan features etc functionality to new framework? I'm not sure I understand all parts how current Wekan works.

Although, I could try to get new framework working step by step, like I have done incremental improvements to Wekan since 2016-12.

I did start maintaining Wekan 2016-12 because previous maintainer and author of Wekan got tired when trying to rewrite Wekan.

Well, maybe if I start from cloudflare-worker-todos, and try to add support for other databases like SQLite, to run it on Raspberry Pi. Maybe that could be a start.

or, adding some NPM orm package to support many databases

June 21, 2019 at 11:13am

I have tried some alternative stacks, and on those I have got stuck with some missing feature or functionality. And then someone has asked for fixes/features for current Wekan, and I have continued at those. Meteor is full-stack framework, but is there some other similar full stack framework with same or more features? And how it would be possible to migrate between stacks?

like-fill

June 26, 2019 at 8:55am

Some progress. I got https://github.com/wekan/cloudflare-workers-todos deployed to CloudFlare workers+keyvalue store, at address https://todo.wekan.team . Setting it up was suprisingly easy, I found from CloudFlare forums how to link keyvalue store name. Most likely I would need to make more clear docs or video about how to setup it.

It's very little amount of javascript that is at workers directory. Some HTML+JS+CSS code is at frontend, that makes post request to backend. Both frontend and backend are at same Javascript file. There is also some library loaded from CDN.

It's vanilla javascript TodoMVC with CloudFlare backend.

August 6, 2019 at 7:53pm

I am waiting for asp.net blazor. this should give everything we need. but i'll be a nearly full redevelopment.

Hey, just go ahead and try ;)

actually, asp.net is not yet listed at https://github.com/wekan/demo/wiki/Roadmap , I should add it ;)

I don't know any other frameworks so well as Meteor. So it would really need contributors that know some other framework very well, to do it.

August 9, 2019 at 4:49am

We already thought about rewriting wekan after we did some of the changes and got in contact with meteor :-)