Join the conversation

Sign in to join this conversation, and others like it, in the communities you care about.

Wekan

Wekan is an open-source kanban board (Trello like) which allows a card-based task and to-do management.

Wekan / General

Meteor alternatives?

Meteor alternatives?

Wekan / General · June 20, 2019 at 2:53am

Hey guys, I built an Open Source app in Meteor a while ago (it actually had Kanban functionality as well, funnily enough), but as we all know Meteor is showing it's age and the community seems to now be non-existent.

What tech stack would you guys recommend as a modern alternative to Meteor? Any plans for Wekan to migrate to something else?

I really would love to not have to start from scratch on my project, but I don't really think I have a choice anymore with Meteor. Between the memory consumption and build sizes, it's just no longer a feasible option.

Load previous messages

June 26, 2019 at 8:56am

It's very little amount of javascript that is at workers directory. Some HTML+JS+CSS code is at frontend, that makes post request to backend. Both frontend and backend are at same Javascript file. There is also some library loaded from CDN.

It's vanilla javascript TodoMVC with CloudFlare backend.

August 6, 2019 at 7:53pm

I am waiting for asp.net blazor. this should give everything we need. but i'll be a nearly full redevelopment.

Hey, just go ahead and try ;)

actually, asp.net is not yet listed at https://github.com/wekan/demo/wiki/Roadmap , I should add it ;)

I don't know any other frameworks so well as Meteor. So it would really need contributors that know some other framework very well, to do it.

August 9, 2019 at 4:49am

We already thought about rewriting wekan after we did some of the changes and got in contact with meteor :-)

as soon as .net3 with blazor (official technology) is released in autuum we are going switch our in house applications at scherdel (https://github.com/scherdel) away from frontend angular and aurelia to .net blazor.

the invented and opened great developer products during the last 4 years. we would invest some(!) hours a week of 2-4 developers in a wekan rewrite with this.

(i have to discuss this with the team :-))

Edited

August 9, 2019 at 2:24pm

@road42 Did you implement some feature for Wekan? Or try to implement something? Did it got stuck somewhere?

@road42 I don't know is reimplementing Wekan possible with some hours a week of 2-4 developers. Developing Wekan has taken many years of full time development.

of many Wekan contributors

Since starting maintaining Wekan 2016-12 I have done about 300 releases of Wekan, with new features and fixes, now Wekan version being 3.x

Original author of Wekan got tired when trying to reimplement his own created Wekan, so there were not merging of pull requests for 2 months

September 4, 2019 at 6:42am

@xet7 I don't know if it's possible. But the backend should be portable in a few months, as soon as the structure exists.

More difficult may be the frontend mostly without javascript in blazor as it's a new technology.

Edited

September 4, 2019 at 8:30am

@road42 backend portable? What do you mean?

@road42 Are you trying to do frontend without Javascript? How do you do drag and drop?

@road42 Yes I'm very interested in any progress you can make with rewrite

September 11, 2019 at 2:56pm

Oops, there is writing on the wall, Node.js v10 has dropped 32bit Linux https://github.com/meteor/meteor/pull/10527

It's so crazy to drop some support

I would prefer to add more Wekan platforms

Go is also bad https://golang.org/doc/go1.13 "Darwin: As announced in the Go 1.12 release notes, Go 1.13 now requires macOS 10.11 El Capitan or later; support for previous versions has been discontinued."

It's like, some hardware can not run newer operating systems

Like newest Windows 10 does not run on all hardware that previous Windows 10 did