Join the conversation

Sign in to join this conversation, and others like it, in the communities you care about.

Wekan

Wekan is an open-source kanban board (Trello like) which allows a card-based task and to-do management.

Wekan / General

Mongo access and setup parameters

Mongo access and setup parameters

Wekan / General · January 7, 2020 at 5:09pm (Edited 4 years ago)

If I want to get access to mongodb database I might have to change a few parameters (right now it binds to 127.0.0.1 and port 27019 etc. Will not blow things up but have a few simple questions.

When I start and stop wekan ... does that start and stop mongo (can't find that in the scripts), meaning I stop wekan, make an edit in mongo and then restart wekan and if it works , great, and if not rollback and try again?

I see the process running mongo and see mongo-control scripting and its all referencing env variables in that script and its is in /snap/wekan/714/bin. I see a file called "config" where it appears all those env values are set. Is that where I do minor editing, and when I restart wekan, itsrestarts mongodb and rereads those variables?

All I want to do is to be able to read the mongodb directly on occasion (not change anything) through a local vpc secure server to one IP address while doing api development. I suspect that if I open up port 27019 to a single ip address and add a login. or use the wekan login, which I believe is documented in the installation notes, I probably would not be able to see that mongodb remotely as bound.

Oh another question. I logged into Mongo locally on the terminal (on the wekan server) and it let me in without auth. Is that correct? You run mongo without authentication enabled and leave it away from everything else for security?

If so, if I did want to expose Mongo inside of wekan even with a single ip and only for a short while, I would want to enable auth in mongo. If so where can I edit the wekan config to use/add creds?

If it is already under auth then disregard my question. I wanted to confirm that the binding was why I could not log in remotely which made me want to confirm the creds locally first..... Assumed 0 or no bind vs 127.

January 8, 2020 at 8:43pm

Yes, mongodb is bind to Wekan snap server localhost port 27019 without any auth

it is not exposed to outside of localhost

When you use any programming language or GUI tool like nosqlbooster to edit MongoDB database, changes at cards etc affect Wekan immediately visibly for all Wekan users

Because Meteor web framework Javascript listens for MongoDB changes

You can not edit any snap configs in files directly, those will be overwritten by next Wekan update version

All Wekan MongoDB database files and Caddyfile webserver config is at /var/snap/wekan/common

but you should not edit raw mongodb database files directly, it will very likely corrupt

You should use REST API

Or access mongodb with some programming language, but remember that mongodb database structure can change in new Wekan versions, that would most likely break your code

REST API will stay the same

or alternatively, you could have check in your code about has database structure changed

You can search Wekan open and closed issues at https://github.com/wekan/wekan/issues about mongodb auth

I think it's already possible to change mongo-url if really necessary

But I don't know why local mongodb would need auth

only server admins with ssh access can access files at server

normal users use webbrowser or REST API

Yes Wekan node+mongodb both start with sudo snap start wekan

If you only stop wekan, do it with sudo snap stop wekan.wekan

and later start it again with sudo snap start wekan.wekan

Likewise with mongodb, sudo snap start wekan.mongodb

There is different setting for Caddy, sudo snap set wekan caddy-enabled='false'

Edited

or true

I don't know why would it be necessary to expose mongodb. You can run that script directly at server that Wekan Snap installed. Or connect with MongoDB GUI like nosqlbooster though ssh and run with GUI. or install SaltStack and use it's remote commands to run some script or code at that Wekan Snap server.

Well sure, if that feature is required, you could develop it and send pull request