Join the conversation

Sign in to join this conversation, and others like it, in the communities you care about.

Wekan

Wekan is an open-source kanban board (Trello like) which allows a card-based task and to-do management.

Wekan / General

Production ready alternative to snapd

Production ready alternative to snapd

Wekan / General · February 15, 2020 at 1:51am (Edited 4 years ago)

Hi,

while I would love to install wekan on my server I am struggling on which method I should go for. Snapd is unfortunately not an option because my VPS does not support snapd installations. I have installed docker on my server but within the docs of wekan its sounds like its not a good solution for production deployments. Could someone please tell me which route I should go for or are they any good alternatives?

I am also not a fan of Univention, Sandstorm or paid services.

Regards

February 15, 2020 at 2:28am

Is there some reason you can not change to other server provider where Snapd works?

With Snapd, it updagrades everything: migrates database schema changes, updates node.js, etc all dependencies

It's most trouble free

Some did say that LDAP does not work properly with Docker. It works in Snap.

Docker is much more compilcated tech

Inside strict sandbox of Snap Wekan code can not access files outside of /var/snap/wekan/common directory

Code is set as read only in snap

etc safety features

Usually on some VPS if snapd does not work, it could have some outdated virtualization tech like OpenVZ with old version of linux kernel, or some other limited kernels that OVH or Kimsufi uses

There is no reason to use such outdated and old server tech

There is Digital Ocean etc cheap providers

and you can also run snap in any bare metal, KVM/XEN/HyperV/VirtualBox/VMware etc

Upcloud, Hetzner, AWS, Azure

Wekan runs on any laptop or desktop that has for example Ubuntu or Debian Linux installed

I think snapd was and is excellent to handle a dev environment, even thought I am used manually scripting everything, adjusting everything carefully and then commiting those procedures to a devops strategy with aws, google, etc plugins to terraform. So I agree, BUT

when wekan gets deployment in a production environment with hooks across servers sharing a mongo (a master slave system) there is not an easy path to doing that with Snap.

So I for one would like a more precise external set of bash level controls that like every other system I create lets me handle security (like authentication to mongo) and load balancing of both wekan services and databases.

So snap is great to build something easily and quickly. Then what happens?

For bash level controls, you download bundle wekan-3.xx.zip that is for x86_64 from https://releases.wekan.team and install it similarly like RasPi bundle: https://github.com/wekan/wekan/wiki/Raspberry-Pi

and start it as service

for that, only node + mongodb is required

or actually,when you already have mongodb somewhere, only node

that bundle does run on any server, also on those that have some kernel restrictions or OpenVZ

For external mongodb, it mongodb requires login, you can add username and password and IP address etc to MONGO_URL

It's also possible to use some part of bash autoupgrade script, if you need automatic upgrades https://github.com/wekan/wekan-bash-install-autoupgrade