Join the conversation

Sign in to join this conversation, and others like it, in the communities you care about.

Wekan

Wekan is an open-source kanban board (Trello like) which allows a card-based task and to-do management.

Wekan / General

User Documentation

User Documentation

Wekan / General · January 6, 2021 at 1:17pm (Edited 3 years ago)

[Previous title: Give Permissions to Change a Board / Make Users "Owners"?]

Hi everyone, I'm terribly sorry if this question is asked elsewhere, but I couldn't find anything in the FAQ nor the docs.

Is there a possibility to give members of a board more permissions/to make them board owners, so they can also add columns/lists, if they want to?

The context is that we are a small team with several boards, and it would be nice to allow the team more freedom in how to structure their boards.

In our installation (Wekan 4.70.0) not even an admin can change the boards that were not created by her/himself.

I hope my question is clear enough, if not, don't hesitate to ask for more details.

Best, Clemens

Load previous messages

January 7, 2021 at 11:12am

In general, I welcome all new contributors, that can send features, fixes, code etc as pull requests. At Wekan issues https://github.com/wekan/wekan/issues is currently 631 open issues. With current amount of contributors, some add new issues faster than current contributors can reply and fix them.

Having some new documentation contributors, that would add Wekan user and development documentation, would help new users and developers get up to speed faster.

I also welcome any info how I could better encourage new contributors to participate to development of Wekan

January 8, 2021 at 7:10pm

What happened to this, actually? https://wekandoc.readthedocs.io/en/latest/ Unfortunately the link to github is broken, seems like the user who started it has abandoned the project ... but looking at wekan-doc, it seems to be the same source. maybe it could be connected again somehow?

• wekanhow was quite confusing to me, maybe because there is nothing published yet, and I can't imagine yet how it comes together.
        • I wanted to add a page to the github wiki, but I didn't find the md-code anywhere. maybe only official contributors can contribute to it?

Yes, I did disable wiki editing by all logged in GitHub users, because some created new test wiki pages asking why they have edit permission.

Wiki docs are most up-to-date

At GitHub issues I have linked to wiki pages many times, and they are at top of search results

at Google search etc

Hmm, I'll look what kind of permissions wiki has

January 8, 2021 at 10:17pm

I made a wiki page. Unfortunately I could neither publish my branch nor make a pull requests via github. But maybe I'm too unfamiliar yet with using it properly ... it shows

Authentication failed. Some common reasons include:
                    - You are not logged in to your account: see File > Options.
                    - You may need to log out and log back in to refresh your token.
                    - You do not have permission to access this repository.
                    - The repository is archived on GitHub. Check the repository settings to confirm you are still permitted to push commits.
                    - If you use SSH authentication, check that your key is added to the ssh-agent and associated with your account.
                      Edited

January 9, 2021 at 11:09pm

@kuchengrab I moved Wekan wiki docs to https://github.com/wekan/wekan-doc/wiki and invited you to directly edit that wiki

You can directly edit with webbrowser

You can also clone it with: git clone [email protected]:wekan/wekan-doc.wiki.git

git add --all && git commit -m "Updated something" && git push

January 10, 2021 at 2:31pm

thanks @xet7 for adding me. I added my page both in the wiki and in the docs. unfortunately many of the links on the website linking to the old wiki location are now broken, though. The main task would be to do some bookbinding: to compile all the existing docs and make them accessible in one place. It's a nice task for non-programmer contributors – something that could be mentioned in "how to get involved". The aim would be to centralise the available information.

Problem

Right now, there are several places with partly redundant information:

and then there is

Goal

Ideally, all of these different spots (maybe there are even more?) should boil down to maybe three locations where wekan users, people interested in hosting a wekan instance, commercial support seekers, future contributors as well as experienced developers can find the information they are looking for. that would mean that all users (of different target groups) would find a central page with all important links in order to eliminate ambiguity. Questions like "*Shall I post my bug report in vanila or on github? is the wiki the official documentation or wekan-doc? What do I have to read before posting?" should not arise for users.

Edited

How to get there

I would propose:

• do some bookbinding of all the existing md-docs in wiki into the wekan-doc
                                • make wekan.team a sub-webpage of the main website
                                • archive incomplete projects like wekanhow
                                • separate use of different forums (e.g. vanila not for bugs/features) -- make it clear, where the Wekan community "lives", and where it communicates to the outside

(Unfortunately I don't have the time to do what I propsed, myself. And I know, @xet7 you want to dedicate your time to software development, commercial support and bugfixing. So maybe this could be done either by someone enthusiastic in the community ... or by a person who gets paid for it. I'm sure it would pay off, as the core team will have less support issues and FAQs to deal with every day!)

if you want, I can open an issue in github, so possibly more people can see this post, discuss it or, even better, DO. 🙂

Well, then I'll just move wiki back to original location

I already removed from Wekan website link to this community

I can not afford to pay anyone else for combining docs info

It's not that important

Question is, is having Wekan Open Source and free for commercial use enough for someone to spend their time contributing to Wekan docs etc

January 10, 2021 at 10:08pm

Well, I added back to Wekan website link to this community