Join the conversation

Sign in to join this conversation, and others like it, in the communities you care about.

Wekan

Wekan is an open-source kanban board (Trello like) which allows a card-based task and to-do management.

Wekan / General

Wekan watercooler

The Wekan watercooler

Welcome to the Wekan watercooler, a space for general chat with everyone in the community. Jump in to the conversation below or introduce yourself!

Load previous messages

May 14, 2020 at 8:44am

Morning - my name is Mike. I've been exploring Wekan for a while now and think it's far and away the best self-hosted option for a Kanban. I try to have as much as possible on my Pi's and have just installed on a Pi3 on UB19.10 which seems to be great (aside from 1 seg fault - not recreated yet). My question is whether there is intended to be an arm64 docker image as I much prefer the container model, especially when I do not have a clue about meteor or node.js :-)

Edited

Morning - my name is Mike. I've been exploring Wekan for a while now and think it's far and away the best self-hosted option for a Kanban. I try to have as much as possible on my Pi's and have just installed on a Pi3 on UB19.10 which seems to be great (aside from 1 seg fault - not recreated yet). My question is whether there is intended to be an arm64 docker image as I much prefer the container model, especially when I do not have a clue about meteor or node.js :-)

I have Wekan running on a NUC in docker atm but the Pi is more than enough for my personal needs so a docker option would be great.

I have Wekan running on a NUC in docker atm but the Pi is more than enough for my personal needs so a docker option would be great.

Regardless - just want to say how much I appreciate the product itself and the team's efforts maintaining it!

May 14, 2020 at 10:51am

@b3lt3r Thanks! Sometime there will be Docker and Snap for arm64, when me or someone else figures out how to do those. Snap is better than Docker, because Snap has automatic updates without any user intervention, like clicking and commands.

Also, plan is to have Docker and Snap versions for other CPU architectures too, where possible.

Thanks @xet7 - I also don't understand snap - .deb I get :-) but now it seems there is flatpak/flathub and snap with fans of each. I will use this time waiting to try and get up to speed with Snap

I would think UB20.04 for arm64 is already released, you could upgrade to it.

Snap is container like Docker, so Wekan code does not have access outside of /var/snap/wekan/common directory

Docker has problem with layers, it can easily fill full SD card with a lot of space consumed

and it's very easy to get Docker messed up and lose data

I do recommend daily backups https://github.com/wekan/wekan/wiki/Backup

because SD card could get corrupted, get full, etc

or alternatively, add USB harddrive and run Wekan there, with MongoDB moved to store there

May 14, 2020 at 12:12pm

I ended up installing on 19.10 because that was the first version where the dependencies seemed ok following the install instructions. Funnily enough, yesterday I downloaded 20.04 but it seemed not performant (not Wekan - I didn't get to installing it) - the load average on what was an empty system was over 2.0 rather than the expected 0.1. When I looked, it seemed that all the load was from (lol) SNAP threads... I have a suspicion that I should just have walked away and let it do whetever it was trying to do but I switched to the 19.10 instance as that was already up. I will try 20.04 again and be patient as it's plainly better to be on the latest LTS. Regarding backups, I'm also exploring the other unknown which is Mongo - I'm a longtime mysql user so familiar but I spent some time exploring Mongo yesterday with Mongo Compass and it started to make sense. I may post a silly question or two about backups when I see the Snap or docker versions - when it's "bare install" I believe I can work it. Yes, SSD is the way to go - waiting for Amazon to drop the drive through my door in an hour or so...

Edited

May 14, 2020 at 6:37pm

It's same with 19.10 and 20.04: When you start UB, at first it installs all updates. After that, you can install manual updates:

sudo apt update && sudo apt -y dist-upgrade

Then reboot and cleanup:

sudo apt clean && sudo apt autoclean && sudo apt -y autoremove

literally just tried again with a fresh image and I keep getting rejected first login with ubuntu/ubuntu - says incorrect password. This was on the same card I used yesterday re-flashed >_<

trying to flash another card and that failed even to write. It's clearly one of those days :-)

Flashed a 3rd and that finally allowed me to login.... this time there was a bunch of messages about ssh key generation so I presume that not happening was the cause of the login rejection on the original card. Lucky we have so much spare time atm (at least I do)

There could be some instructions at Internet how to configure RasPi3 to boot from external SSD

May 15, 2020 at 1:53pm

Yes - I have my main Pi running Raspian booting from SD then mounting SSD as root and will go the same way here. 20.04 is up and running now but I'll hold off on Wekan till either the Snap or Docker is available. I have it on the NUC for now via that docker so will be patient :-)

July 19, 2020 at 8:01am

Hello All and first of all kudos to the wekan team and everyone contributing to it

we have been using wekan for our small startup since past month and we are loving it

July 19, 2020 at 10:35am

@xet7 I am facing issue with running from source on windows 10

I cloned the repo, uncommented the required lines and then did docker-compose up -d --build