Vanila / General

Be Aware of Scams - Fake Design Jobs (credit cards)

Vanila/General · March 29, 2019 at 12:21am

Vanila / General · March 29, 2019 at 12:21am (Edited 5 years ago)
Fake design jobs - credit card scam

I want to share this cause it will probably save someone's time in future by not dedicating time to respond on fake website jobs.

I probably got 10-20 emails like this during the last few years. Some I smell out instantly that are scams by the way they wrote email. Some of them instantly try and ask if you accept credit cards (that's an alert).

This scams are also known under names Overpayment Scam, Third Party Payout Scam, Payment Reversal Scam and Advanced Fee Scam. The Fraud Prevention department at credit card payment processor Stripe put it like this:

Designers such as yourself are common targets for a type of scam known as a Third Party Payout. Essentially, the scammer makes a payment (generally in the thousands) for a project, and pays more than they need so you can then transfer money direct to a third party (e.g. a consultant, graphic designer, etc). I imagine your correspondence with your ‘client’ has been along these line. As I’m sure you’ve figured out, the fix is that the card used is stolen and the third party is actually the scammer. So when the legitimate cardholder disputes the payment the business is left holding the bag on the money retrieved from their account and what they transferred to the scammer.

Why Credit Cards? Well, they probably have stolen credit cards, and wan't to make use of it. You wonder, but how they will get money, cause they pays you?

Well, depends on scammer level, but at one point they will ask you if they can send you more money, and you return them via some other method. Some rush instantly and ask you about that.

Here is example below of the moment he ask for "favor"

“I want to pay the printer some amount to get materials and work started so they can meet up with set deadline but they do not have facilities to accept credit card payment So I’ll add the extra amount to your deposit and once everything clears into your account, you will take your deposit and help me send the remaining amount to them the sum of $3,390 i will be responsible for the credit card charges and tax and there is also a $100 tip for you.”

However, this one I missed to recognize, and it took me quite good amount of time to respond properly on emails and even build proposal for him. Honestly, it was my fault cause I didn't Google his email instantly. I had chaotic days of multi tasking, and even I had that in mind to Google it, i felt tired, lazy in that point so I didn't. And that cost me spending time and hoping of getting that cost effective project ^^.

Initial email from scammer

Name: James Kruse

Email: [email protected]

Hi, i am James, i would like to know if you can handle website development for a clothing store?
Get back to me so i can send you the details.
Thanks!

Than after my response of asking to share more details, he sent this:

Hi Stefan,
Thanks for getting in touch. I would like you to review the details and get back to me with any question you may have.
Here is the project details, well i have a small clothing business for both male and female which i run here in Nebraska, now am trying to expand the business and i want you to build an informational website for it for advertisement, drive traffic to my physical location, and to increase my sales rate..
so i need you to check out this site but i need something more perfect than this if it's possible http://www.missrebel.co.uk. the site would only be informational, so i need you to give me an estimate .The estimate should include hosting and i want the site to have not more than 5 pages ,since it is informational. I have a private project consultant, he has the text content, images and the logos for the site.
Note:
1. I want only English language
2. I don't have a domain yet but i want the domain name as Nobleclassicwear.co
3. You will be updating the site for me.
4. I will be providing the images, logos and content for the site.
5. I want the site up and running before ending of next month.
6. My budget is $2000 to $5000
Thanks,
James

Next time you get email for potential work, be sure to research with who you are talking with, by looking for his full name and email on Google.

They shows unders this names and emails (will be updated):

Name: James Kruse Email: [email protected]

Name: Kent Walter Email: [email protected]

Name: Luis Lee Email: [email protected] Phone: (732) 893-0731

Name: leon gregory Email: [email protected]

Name: james morgan Email: [email protected]

Name: julian johnson Email: [email protected]

Name: Dan Larry Email: [email protected]

Name: Charles Rodwell Email: [email protected]

Name: Michael Thompson Email: [email protected]

Name: David Dojcak Email: [email protected]

Name: Willie Jame Email: [email protected]