Join the conversation

Sign in to join this conversation, and others like it, in the communities you care about.

Javascript

All things related to Javascript, React, Angular, Nodejs and other js frameworks.

Javascript / General

Coding in a new language I am not familiar with

Javascript/General · March 20, 2019 at 2:27pm

Javascript / General · March 20, 2019 at 2:27pm (Edited 9 months ago)

Have you ever solved a problem using a language you are not familiar with? You did, either when you were beginner or you wanted to experiment with some language.

I remember once I solved my friends C++ assignment without knowing a single piece of C++ code, or help python kids solve their coding problem without looking into python codebase.

Nim is a bit similar to python, I knew a bit of python, it's obvious I was able to write the code. Pretty impressive of me, patting my own back.

But reason why I am sharing is the how I could write a solution without knowing the syntax much.

Here is the biggest secret,

Programming is not about a language, it's about solving a problem.

Of course I had to search a lot and fail a lot.

The nim in action book is good, but it's the age of videos. Right now there is not a single crash course about nim on the youtube. I had to rely on the documentation and forum, which means there are opportunities for this.

Next time I will try rust and crystal. Both are fairly new to me. I am just playing around with cool stuff and will probably give up at some point.

Do you have any such experience? How did you tackle that?

Read full post here: https://dev.to/entrptaher/coding-in-a-new-language-i-am-not-familiar-with-m09/

March 20, 2019 at 3:12pm

I know what you mean Tahy. I am not writing the code, and don't know the basic syntax of programming languages, but was able to give solutions just by trying to solve the problem.

It's call it logic