UI/UX 💩 / Tips

❌ Type of client you should REFUSE ❌

UI/UX 💩/Tips · April 8, 2019 at 12:51pm

UI/UX 💩 / Tips · April 8, 2019 at 12:51pm
bad client copy.jpg

I’m always very cautious with people who I work with. Mainly because I hate working for low budgets within a short timeline (as all of us=)). So during the last years I have identified a typical portrait of a client I always say NO to (or just cut off the communication as delicate as possible).

He does:

1. Ask me too much questions on how I'm deciding where to put a button/which color to use/which font to use

2. Ignore my suggestions to have a Skype call
 🥵
  3. Want a test task done without even symbolic payment (he thinks we are struggling for work and 20 different designers will provide him concepts for free just to compete for the project)

4. Turn my Skype into constant ping-ping-ping no matter what time is it in my timezone even BEFORE we agreed that I will work for him

5. Want to know the most detailed breakdown of every single deliverable. He needs to understand what is he spending every $1 for, right?
  6. Think that PSD is a good deliverable for UI design and wants me to deliver PSDs
He doesn’t:
  1. Give a list of his expectations
😅
  2. Answer to brief questions clearly
  3. Say anything to my timeline estimations even if I ask to OK on that
  4. Accept the time zone difference and wants me to reply at 3am
  5. Understand that I have other clients too and cannot have a call within 20 min since he wrote me in skype . I think I can continue with the list but those are the most painful points for me personally((( What is your “Say NO to” client? What points have you faced with (1-11)?

April 8, 2019 at 1:03pm

Hey @ui-helen, great article! I think that I am dealing with no.1 all the time, sadly. I almost have the answer remembered as in school and I would be able to tell you the answer at 3am if i would have to, haha!

I actually read great article on this few months back - https://medium.com/@jyssicaschwartz/how-to-identify-bad-clients-aaea88eed892

like-fill

April 8, 2019 at 3:30pm

6 in most cases has to do with not knowning what is the best option, I guess. Solved by summarizing why PSD is not a good solution.

April 9, 2019 at 5:51am

6 in most cases has to do with not knowning what is the best option, I guess. Solved by summarizing why PSD is not a good solution.

Oh yes I try to educate them)

Hey @ui-helen, great article! I think that I am dealing with no.1 all the time, sadly. I almost have the answer remembered as in school and I would be able to tell you the answer at 3am if i would have to, haha!

I actually read great article on this few months back - https://medium.com/@jyssicaschwartz/how-to-identify-bad-clients-aaea88eed892

good article) Hate people who demand below average prices... and also I have same prices thing happening to me. People find my instagram blog somehow and just DM me with this question. How can I know how much the website or app design will cost if I've seen nothing... People lack common sense ..

like-fill

April 9, 2019 at 8:50am

@ui-helen yes, exactly. Like. I want an app, what it will cost me? "What kind of app, would you be more specific, like what your business is, if you have already some wireframes or just an idea..." "I sell shoes."

Headbanging on table

April 9, 2019 at 10:49am

@ui-helen yes, exactly. Like. I want an app, what it will cost me? "What kind of app, would you be more specific, like what your business is, if you have already some wireframes or just an idea..." "I sell shoes."

Headbanging on table

ahahhaahahhahhahahahahhahhaha God bless them)

like-fill

April 11, 2019 at 1:06pm

Thanks for this quick post Elena. First signs for me are the way client communicate. You can feel his tone even trough the chat. Not having proper documentation and scope of work (or at all) is a big sign that will be problems in future.

Of course, low budget vs unrealistic expectation. Also, small time-frame (deadline) for work to be done.

like-fill

Last week I spend 2 days on Upwork chatting with some guy, who couldn't properly explain me if he wants illustration or 3D CGI (computer graphic image). After i figured it out after 2 days that he want 3 realistic renders of CGI for $300, I gently refused to work with him, and he started treating me that will report me on Upwork 👏. Like i was thinking in my head screw you dude ^^

Edited

April 13, 2019 at 1:45pm

Added in story btw

May 8, 2019 at 1:42pm

Last week I spend 2 days on Upwork chatting with some guy, who couldn't properly explain me if he wants illustration or 3D CGI (computer graphic image). After i figured it out after 2 days that he want 3 realistic renders of CGI for $300, I gently refused to work with him, and he started treating me that will report me on Upwork 👏. Like i was thinking in my head screw you dude ^^

Hi Stefan! This is awful BUT Upwork will not believe this guy because you have screen shots of the chat lol. And he was stupid enough to threat you in the upwork chat? God bless the fool)