UI/UX 💩 / Tips

❌ Type of client you should REFUSE ❌

UI/UX 💩/Tips · April 8, 2019 at 12:51pm

UI/UX 💩 / Tips · April 8, 2019 at 12:51pm
bad client copy.jpg

I’m always very cautious with people who I work with. Mainly because I hate working for low budgets within a short timeline (as all of us=)). So during the last years I have identified a typical portrait of a client I always say NO to (or just cut off the communication as delicate as possible).

He does:

1. Ask me too much questions on how I'm deciding where to put a button/which color to use/which font to use

2. Ignore my suggestions to have a Skype call
 🥵
  3. Want a test task done without even symbolic payment (he thinks we are struggling for work and 20 different designers will provide him concepts for free just to compete for the project)

4. Turn my Skype into constant ping-ping-ping no matter what time is it in my timezone even BEFORE we agreed that I will work for him

5. Want to know the most detailed breakdown of every single deliverable. He needs to understand what is he spending every $1 for, right?
  6. Think that PSD is a good deliverable for UI design and wants me to deliver PSDs
He doesn’t:
  1. Give a list of his expectations
😅
  2. Answer to brief questions clearly
  3. Say anything to my timeline estimations even if I ask to OK on that
  4. Accept the time zone difference and wants me to reply at 3am
  5. Understand that I have other clients too and cannot have a call within 20 min since he wrote me in skype . I think I can continue with the list but those are the most painful points for me personally((( What is your “Say NO to” client? What points have you faced with (1-11)?
Load previous messages

April 11, 2019 at 1:06pm

Thanks for this quick post Elena. First signs for me are the way client communicate. You can feel his tone even trough the chat. Not having proper documentation and scope of work (or at all) is a big sign that will be problems in future.

Of course, low budget vs unrealistic expectation. Also, small time-frame (deadline) for work to be done.

like-fill

Last week I spend 2 days on Upwork chatting with some guy, who couldn't properly explain me if he wants illustration or 3D CGI (computer graphic image). After i figured it out after 2 days that he want 3 realistic renders of CGI for $300, I gently refused to work with him, and he started treating me that will report me on Upwork 👏. Like i was thinking in my head screw you dude ^^

Edited

April 13, 2019 at 1:45pm

Added in story btw

May 8, 2019 at 1:42pm

Last week I spend 2 days on Upwork chatting with some guy, who couldn't properly explain me if he wants illustration or 3D CGI (computer graphic image). After i figured it out after 2 days that he want 3 realistic renders of CGI for $300, I gently refused to work with him, and he started treating me that will report me on Upwork 👏. Like i was thinking in my head screw you dude ^^

Hi Stefan! This is awful BUT Upwork will not believe this guy because you have screen shots of the chat lol. And he was stupid enough to threat you in the upwork chat? God bless the fool)