Join the conversation

Sign in to join this conversation, and others like it, in the communities you care about.

Wekan

Wekan is an open-source kanban board (Trello like) which allows a card-based task and to-do management.

Wekan / General

Wekan watercooler

The Wekan watercooler

Welcome to the Wekan watercooler, a space for general chat with everyone in the community. Jump in to the conversation below or introduce yourself!

Load previous messages

December 1, 2019 at 3:10pm

I have public Roadmap at https://wekan.github.io with all of my paid work listed, so there is full transparency

I have full ChangeLog at https://wekan.github.io that is my proven track record

I develop Wekan, because I use Wekan myself, I'm scratching my own itch

At beginning I did maintain Wekan as a hobby. After one year of maintaining Wekan, at GitHub issues some did ask that Wekan could have bounties, so I added bounties and my Commercial Support https://wekan.team

Wekan is Community driven Open Source project

I continue to develop Wekan, because Wekan Community encourages me to continue, and my customers pay for development of Wekan. I could get more money if I were working for some big company. But my customers make it possible that I can work at my home, developing new features for Wekan.

I do carefully listen for feeback at GitHub issues, chats, etc. I use GitHub Watch feature to get emails about all new issues, comments at issues, pull requests etc.

Wekan has some contributors, that send pull request, but Wekan would progress much faster if there were even more contributors sending pull requests.

Wekan has 572 open issues, it's not like I can develop them all at once, I'm just one person.

Developing even one new feature takes some time

usually something between couple days to 6 months

then why are you not promoting wekan as a competitor to trello?

December 1, 2019 at 6:50pm

Because Wekan is already better than Trello

like-fill

I don't compete

Trello and Jira are not Open Source

like-fill

For software I use, I prefer Open Source, because I can see source code, and I can fix bugs myself.

Trello is translated to 23 languages. Wekan is translated to about 50 languages. Wekan is used in most countries of the world https://snapcraft.io/wekan

I don't go looking what features there are in other kanban etc software. If someone would like to have some feature in Wekan, they pay me to develop it.

For my day-to-day usage of Wekan, Wekan already is the best kanban software available.

I have already implemented to features that are in Jira, like Assignee field. Currently Board Id feature is in progress, that also from Jira.

And related to GitLab integration, I will implement card/list/board sync, that can sync info between Wekan and GitLab. That is feature that only GitLab Enterprise Edition has.

In features, I'm not targeting any specific competitor only.

And Trello/Jira/GitLab still have a lot of customers, it's not likely that I could make them go out of businesss

In Wekan user interface, I try to make it logical, and it's own unique design.

For example, in Wekan, new board button is at top left. At Trello, new board button is at bottom right, so it requires to always scroll to long list of boards when adding a new board.