Join the conversation

Sign in to join this conversation, and others like it, in the communities you care about.

Wekan

Wekan is an open-source kanban board (Trello like) which allows a card-based task and to-do management.

Wekan / General

Would you choose Meteor today?

Would you choose Meteor today?

Wekan / General · April 15, 2020 at 2:24pm (Edited 4 years ago)

I played around with Meteor in 2012, but in the end I left the framework behind because I felt that bigger projects would get pretty "bloated" over time. So I thought of Meteor as "suitable for smaller real-time based projects".

After working on Wekan for some time - would you choose Meteor again if you had to start over today? If not, which stack would you choose?

Load previous messages

April 16, 2020 at 4:02am

with all those no Javascript at frontend and PWA plans

problem is, I get stuck at the very beginning

Well, the reason why I started maintaining Wekan https://github.com/wekan/wekan/wiki/FAQ#what-was-wekan-fork--wefork

like-fill

was because original author tried to rewrite Wekan, and got tired in trying that

Also my own stats at ohloh https://www.openhub.net/accounts/xet7

those thousands of commits

Sure, I am looking at various frameworks. It's just that, moving a mountain is not easy.

Also at Wekan Roadmap https://boards.wekan.team/b/D2SzJKZDS4Z48yeQH/wekan-open-source-kanban-board-with-mit-license I have promised to develop some big features to Wekan, and some customers have already paid

Currently I'm releasing new Wekan versions often

Many contributions as pull requests from various individuals and companies from around the world

and updates to about 50 translated languages

like-fill

Like, changing engine to train when at full speed is kind of hard

Sure I do various small tests to see if that would somehow be possible

April 16, 2020 at 6:39am

@xet7, thanks a lot for your time to answer in depth. Much appreciated.

Edited
                              like-fill

It's like, I don't have 13 years to rewrite Wekan

Absolutely! And unfortunately, this is the typical situation you find yourself in when working on large projects in the software industry. You can't rewrite the whole thing, and besides, nobody wants to pay for it, so you're basically stuck with outdated frameworks / stacks.

@boeserwolf What framework do you use?

Well, it depends. I've worked with a few over the years, starting with jQuery (of course), Angular 1.x up to Angular 2 - 9 (popular in the German corporate environment), Meteor (which I was quite excited about in 2012), React / React Native and over the last two years I've been stuck with Aurelia 1. For smaller or private projects I tend to use Vue because it's just so quick and simple, and I want to look into Svelte.

That said, if I want things to be robust and require very litte up to no maintenance, I tend to write it in the purest way possible (e. g. vanilla JS / PHP / C# / Go, whatever) and avoid external dependencies.

April 16, 2020 at 2:18pm

It's possible to use Svelte in Meteor https://github.com/meteor/meteor/blob/devel/Roadmap.md

Wekan uses up-to-date newest Meteor, Node 12.x LTS etc dependencies that are compatible.

April 16, 2020 at 3:36pm
                                            Consider Vue.js, Svelte, React Native, and Apollo as first-class citizen

That's great!

Edited

But I would simply adapt to what you guys are mainly using/doing in Wekan, to not add extra layers of complexity to the project.

Edited

April 16, 2020 at 7:20pm

Wekan is made with Blaze, and most likely will continue to be. In near future I will probably get funding for mobile web fixes, so that Wekan would work on Safari on iOS/iPad.

like-fill

and iPhone