Join the conversation

Sign in to join this conversation, and others like it, in the communities you care about.

Startup Space

Startup Space is a community for startup owners and workers. Ask or share anything related Startup topic.

Startup Space / General

I created Postwoman πŸ‘½ - An online, open source API request builder

Startup Space/GeneralΒ Β· August 27, 2019 at 2:49am

Startup SpaceΒ /Β GeneralΒ Β·Β August 27, 2019 at 2:49am (Edited 4 years ago)

Postwoman πŸ‘½ - API request builder

Feel free to contribute on GitHub πŸ’š

In case you missed! Story this far: I joined Zartek, which is a start-up based in Kochi, Kerala where I work as a full-stack developer.

Story behind Postwoman: The very first task I was assigned is an API integration of an old project. That's when I came across Postman API testing. Postman has separate builds targeted to each operating systems made with Electron. I use a low-end PC and can't possibly afford to run another Electron app. From that moment onwards, I wanted to make an API testing platform which is:

• Open Sourced πŸ’š
  • Runs online
  • Have multi-platform support
  • Have multi-device support
  • Accessible from anywhere

That's how Postwoman was born (this is not at all an alternative to Postman - yet, it does the job very beautifully and minimally. It needs more features and love which I hope we all can give by contributions on GitHub).

Alt Text

When I did a background check on API request builders, Postman offered various Plans & Pricing, there were lot of other API request builders based on CURL etc. But none of them seems simple, minimal and efficient.

That's why I created my own API request builder with pure JavaScript (Later I used Vue.js and apparently migrated to Nuxt.js) + HTML + CSS πŸ’–

Did I mention this service is all free of charge and 100% open source? Yes, It's free and always will be.

The Postwoman API request builder helps you create your requests faster, saving you precious time on your development.

Features πŸ”₯

• Send requests to verify your API is ready for launch
  • GET, HEAD, POST, PUT, DELETE, OPTIONS, PATCH (more coming soon)
  • Authentication support
  • Parameters support
  • Request body support
  • View Response
  • Progressive Web App support
  • UPDATE: Added History support
  • UPDATE: Migrated to Vue Nuxt
  • UPDATE: Added web socket support
  • UPDATE: Added raw input field for PUT and POST methods
  • UPDATE: Added response status color
  • UPDATE: Added theme customization with settings storage
  • UPDATE: Added option to copy response to clipboard
  • UPDATE: Added option to view/copy HTML preview of responses
  • (more coming soon)
Alt TextFeatures planned for near future for which I need your help:
  • Autocomplete
  • ~Code highlight in response body~ UPDATE: Added code highlight on response body
  • More methods
  • ~History~ UPDATE: Added History support
  • HTTP support (currently I don't have money to buy a domain so I hosted on GitHub Pages which is served only on HTTPS - this makes impossible to make non-HTTPS requests from HTTPS hosting 😿)

🎁 Bonus: Postwoman is in dark mode 🌚

Demo πŸš€

Feel free to contribute on GitHub πŸ’š

{% github liyasthomas/postwoman %}

If you want a heads up on my next projects, or just want to chat about the web, make sure to follow me @liyasthomas@liyasthomas πŸ’™. If any of my projects helped you please consider making a small donation on PayPal to help me pay my server bills and rent. Alternatively you can Buy Me a Coffee.

UPDATE: Thanks for all of your support and love. My fellow kind hearted dev friends registered and hosted Postwoman directly from GitHub pages to these domain:

Load previous messages

October 24, 2019 at 8:31pm

Love this! Links don't work though cries

October 24, 2019 at 11:04pm

Love this! Links don't work though cries

Fixed links πŸ™ŒπŸΌ