Join the conversation

Sign in to join this conversation, and others like it, in the communities you care about.

Wekan

Wekan is an open-source kanban board (Trello like) which allows a card-based task and to-do management.

Wekan / General

Feedback from my users

Feedback from my users

Wekan / General · March 10, 2020 at 12:42pm

Hi everybody !

I am using wekan as a kanban for our software project, and some other people in my company use it too. To understand the context, I am working in the Live for Good organization as a developer for a digital platform. This organization helps young social entrepreneurs to develop, manage and propel their projects. In theses support sessions, we provide to them a digital platform with several tools, including wekan. They can access for free to an unlimited version of Wekan.

In this context, we asked to fifties of them why they are, or they are not, using wekan. I think that it could be interesting to communicate the result to you, to give you a better idea of what non-developper users are waiting ;)

First ! I want to say that it is not a critique ! I love the project and I am very thankful for all your work ! I just want to communicate, without filters, feedback of our users :D

So, good points, in priority order, the most recurring to the less :

• Wekan provide features which costs a lot in Trello
  • I can have lot's of boards for free, more easy to manage a project
  • It is very nice to use the same account than in the LfG platform #OAuth2
  • I like the Swimlane function
  • Wekan saved my company, we were fighting all days because we never know who was doing what. Now it is clear and transparent, thank you so much ! ( I like this comment ^^ )

Bad points, in priority order, the most recurring to the less :

• Wekan is to ugly, I will never use it. #UI
  • It takes to many times to understand how to use it. #UX
  • I am using Trello and free features are enough for me, why change ?
  • I loosed data during the transfer from Trello, I am to lazy for that.
  • It is not easy to share boards with external
  • I do not know how many times you will keep my data ( That's a Live for Good problem, not a Wekan problem)
  • Wekan is slow, not performant ( solved with a bigger VM )

In the cohort, 10% use wekan, coming from Trello or beginning kanban experience, and around 60% decided to stay on Trello.

Tada ! I hope that it can help you to design the roadmap ;) I think the better quick win could be the UI, there are lot's of features that Trello does not have in Wekan but people stays focused on design :/ UX can come after I think, if it looks like nice, they will spend more time and they will understand, it is not hard to understand Wekan.

I repeat myself, it is not a bad critique, I like your work and I think it is important to be transparent ;)

Have a good day ! And thank you again :)

March 10, 2020 at 5:06pm

About share boards with external, it's possible to make Wekan board public, like Roadmap at https://wekan.github.io

like-fill

For bugs, they will be fixed

Wekan has features Trello does not have, like Swimlanes, etc

Trello has worse UX. Add new board button is at bottom of boards list. At Wekan, it's the first icon. This will be improved when there will be new features to organize boards at https://github.com/wekan/wekan/issues/2796

I can run Wekan server at RasPi3/RasPi4, my laptop, etc. I can make my own backups, and don't need to give my data to 3rd party company.

Wekan has Assignee field like in Jira. Trello does not have that.

There has been many changes to Wekan UX to make it better. There is no point in changing current Wekan UX, more about this at https://github.com/wekan/wekan/issues/2939

I have very often changed UX based on feedback on Wekan GitHub issues. Current UX is the best combination possible.

Those that think Wekan UX is ugly, most likely think it because it is not exact copy of Trello. Wekan will never be exact copy of Trello, Wekan UX is better than Trello and others.

In Summary, that is normal feedback, and does not cause any changes to existing Wekan Roadmap. Thanks!

March 11, 2020 at 9:45am

Hi Lauri ! Thank you for your answer :)

Wekan has features Trello does not have, like Swimlanes, etc Wekan has Assignee field like in Jira. Trello does not have that.

I completely agree with you, and entrepreneurs saw this :D :

So, good points, in priority order, the most recurring to the less : Wekan provide features which costs a lot in Trello
                      About share boards with external, it's possible to make Wekan board public, like Roadmap at https://wekan.github.io

Board can be public, but it is readable only, what was asked to me, is a public board readable and editable. And, to be perfect, the possibility to have a private board where you can generate a link which share readable and editable access to non login people. I think that Wekan cannot do that, can it ?

However, I disagree a little about UX and UI. Ok, UX is good enough, no problem for UX. But UI is not attractive, it looks like too sad, it's missing some colors, logo, I do not know what but something to make Wekan's heart beat ! <3 I know how design is difficult, I'm not a UI expert, but If you want, I can try to take some times to the designer of our platform to try to make the Wekan design more enjoyable. Do you want ?

Thank's for your work ;)

Edited
                        like-fill

For public board to be editable, that feature does not exist yet. It would be possible to add that feature if someone would pay for it.

Wekan whitelabeled, because some did pay for it.

Only at Wekan Admin Panel Info is text "Wekan version", elsewhere it's just whitelabel

Your designer can look at Wekan design, and send some suggestions as screenshot mockups. Changing design is a lot of paid work.

like is having public board editable too

so it depends, are those changes an improvement

Wekan design in general is going to direction of less popups, and more full screen, like card full screen, more settings visible at once, path to card shown at top with links to upper levels, unlimited hierarchical organizing of levels and paths

and more ways to hide Wekan features

also there will sometime be ability to add background image

when I get it working

there will be ability to collapse some or all swimlanes

some other designer is also looking at Wekan desing but I have not received their feedback yet

March 12, 2020 at 11:12am

Hi !

also there will sometime be ability to add background image

This could be nice :D

Your designer can look at Wekan design, and send some suggestions as screenshot mockups.

I'll ask. Do you have a graphic charter document to send me to keep a global homogeneity ? :)

Edited

March 12, 2020 at 2:10pm

Huh wow what is graphic charter document ?? I'm not a graphic designer, I don't know.