Join the conversation

Sign in to join this conversation, and others like it, in the communities you care about.

Wekan

Wekan is an open-source kanban board (Trello like) which allows a card-based task and to-do management.

Wekan / General

Feedback from my users

Feedback from my users

Wekan / General · March 10, 2020 at 12:42pm

Hi everybody !

I am using wekan as a kanban for our software project, and some other people in my company use it too. To understand the context, I am working in the Live for Good organization as a developer for a digital platform. This organization helps young social entrepreneurs to develop, manage and propel their projects. In theses support sessions, we provide to them a digital platform with several tools, including wekan. They can access for free to an unlimited version of Wekan.

In this context, we asked to fifties of them why they are, or they are not, using wekan. I think that it could be interesting to communicate the result to you, to give you a better idea of what non-developper users are waiting ;)

First ! I want to say that it is not a critique ! I love the project and I am very thankful for all your work ! I just want to communicate, without filters, feedback of our users :D

So, good points, in priority order, the most recurring to the less :

• Wekan provide features which costs a lot in Trello
  • I can have lot's of boards for free, more easy to manage a project
  • It is very nice to use the same account than in the LfG platform #OAuth2
  • I like the Swimlane function
  • Wekan saved my company, we were fighting all days because we never know who was doing what. Now it is clear and transparent, thank you so much ! ( I like this comment ^^ )

Bad points, in priority order, the most recurring to the less :

• Wekan is to ugly, I will never use it. #UI
  • It takes to many times to understand how to use it. #UX
  • I am using Trello and free features are enough for me, why change ?
  • I loosed data during the transfer from Trello, I am to lazy for that.
  • It is not easy to share boards with external
  • I do not know how many times you will keep my data ( That's a Live for Good problem, not a Wekan problem)
  • Wekan is slow, not performant ( solved with a bigger VM )

In the cohort, 10% use wekan, coming from Trello or beginning kanban experience, and around 60% decided to stay on Trello.

Tada ! I hope that it can help you to design the roadmap ;) I think the better quick win could be the UI, there are lot's of features that Trello does not have in Wekan but people stays focused on design :/ UX can come after I think, if it looks like nice, they will spend more time and they will understand, it is not hard to understand Wekan.

I repeat myself, it is not a bad critique, I like your work and I think it is important to be transparent ;)

Have a good day ! And thank you again :)

Load previous messages

March 11, 2020 at 10:32am

there will be ability to collapse some or all swimlanes

some other designer is also looking at Wekan desing but I have not received their feedback yet

March 12, 2020 at 11:12am

Hi !

also there will sometime be ability to add background image

This could be nice :D

Your designer can look at Wekan design, and send some suggestions as screenshot mockups.

I'll ask. Do you have a graphic charter document to send me to keep a global homogeneity ? :)

Edited

March 12, 2020 at 2:10pm

Huh wow what is graphic charter document ?? I'm not a graphic designer, I don't know.

In general, Wekan has existing themes at backgroud color selection

for changing UI, when I change some HTML, it keeps existing themes

In those screenshot mockups, it does not need to be exact style

Because most likely you are for example combining some multiple menus to one settings page

It's mostly about having everything grouped logically

and having correct description of feauture, so that it is easy to understand

as a guiding principle, it would be nice to have doing something to require less clicks

About user friendly design, I don't know what does it mean that "Wekan is hard to learn"

Does it depend where each button and menu is?

For that kind of feedback, I would like to have more details from those users and your designer

What kind of UI would make Wekan easier to learn

because feedback from others has been, that they have had no problems learning to use Wekan

For any new feature, I add option to the menu where it currently makes most sense

For some new features, like swimlanes, first there was research what kind of UI other kanban software had for swimlanes

And then best one was selected

But, I'm kind of blind to current design and UI issues, because I know Wekan so well

I'm not able to imagine major changes yet

Designer usually has more experience about different kind of UI/UX designs

what would be an improvement

Also, like with any change, when I implement and release it, if it received negative feedback that new change is worse, I will revert it to original.

So it's best to do small little changes at a time